Home / FAQs


Conveyancing FAQs

Can I get an update?

The best way to check the progress on your case is to use our online case tracker – you should’ve received your log in details with your initial paperwork. If you can’t find the update you need on there, then please contact your case manager directly.

How long does the process take?

The conveyancing process varies from anywhere between 3 and 6 months depending on the complexity of your sale or purchase. For example, leasehold, new build, and shared ownership will typically take longer than a freehold file due to the extra parties involved. If you are in a chain of people remember we are also dependent on many others.

What are the searches and how long do they take?

The general searches we submit are environmental, water, and local authority. We may need to do others depending on your location, such as mining searches, or limestone searches. On average, searches can take between 2 to 3 weeks, sometimes longer as we are dependent on your local council.

When can we exchange and complete?

If you are buying, once we have received all initial paperwork, ID, searches are returned, mortgage offer (if applicable) is in and checked, all signed paperwork including contract, transfer and mortgage deed are returned, all enquiries have been answered by the sellers solicitors and proof of funds has been approved and lender checks (if applicable) have been made, we can set a date.
If you are selling then we are reliant on your buyer going through the above process.
Please remember that if you are in a chain, we rely on all the other people in the chain to be in the same position.

When will I get my sale proceeds?

Sale funds will be usually with you the working day after completion, at the latest.

I don’t know the answer to the questions the buyers solicitors have asked.

Don’t worry if you don’t know the answer. Just answer to the best of your knowledge, and the buyers will then have to rely on their own investigations.

Where on the contract do I sign?

You need to sign in the box where it says “seller/buyer”.

Can I just email the contract/deed/TR1 or do I need to post it?

Unfortunately not, we need the original signed copies to be sent to us in the post.

How do I make the initial payment?

You can make a secure payment online by going to www.oneillpatient.co.uk/payments.

When do I send the deposit?

Your Case Manager will be in contact when we are ready to request the deposit – this is usually one of the final things we need to do, just prior to exchanging contracts.

What Proof of funds do I need to send in and why?

Proof of funds is a legal requirement, in order to check that you are able to purchase the property. We need to see where the money is coming from, whether that be savings, proceeds of sale of a property, inheritance, premium bonds etc. We would need bank statements and evidence to support the original source of funds.

When do I need to close my ISA down?

You should close your ISA down once we’re within sight of exchange of contracts, towards the end of the whole process.

What happens on completion day? What time do I get my keys?

This depends where you are in the chain, and is subject to the seller’s solicitor confirming they have received the funds from us. We will send funds as soon as we are able in the morning, and we will call you to let you know once the seller’s solicitors confirm completion (they will await the funds). Depending on the complexity of your transaction, you may not get keys until later in the day.

Who will deal with my file if my case handler is out of office?

Another member of the team will continue to monitor emails of anyone who is out of office, so please continue to email as normal and the relevant person will respond.

Who can witness a mortgage deed/TR1?

Anyone who aged 18 or over, not related and does not reside at the same address can be a witness a document. This could be a neighbour, or colleague, for example.

What ID do you require?

One form of photo ID such as driving licence or passport, along with proof of residence. Proof of residence needs to be a utility bill or bank statement dated within the last three months. Please note, we cannot accept a driving licence as proof of residence. Bank statements should always display your name. If you reside abroad, these requirements will vary. Please consult the welcome letter.

If I withdraw from the purchase prior to exchange how much will I have to pay?

We work on a no completion, no fee basis. However there is a charge to pay upfront in order to conduct searches from the local council, and this is non-refundable.

What happens if I have lost my FENSA certificate or any other installation certificates/planning permissions/building regulations?

The buyer’s solicitors will likely request that you purchase an indemnity insurance to cover the buyers in the instance of missing documents. They will let us know if they feel that this is necessary – we would not agree if the work has been done over ten years ago.


Remortgage FAQs

How long will it take to complete?

Remortgaging shouldn’t take longer than a few weeks, however we will need a copy of the mortgage offer, any relevant redemption statements, along with any information required to comply with restrictions before we can discuss a completion day. As we are reliant on receiving documents from 3rd parties sometimes this can cause a delay, and can take up to 2 months.

Why do I need to fill in a questionnaire, the broker has all this information?

We need your instructions directly too – we take the questionnaire as our permission to act on your behalf.

Can I send the mortgage deed via email?

Unfortunately not, we need the original signed copies to be sent to us in the post.

What does shortfall or surplus mean?

Surplus means money left over from the remortgage that will go back to you. If there is a shortfall this means you will have to top up with funds in order for the remortgage to complete.

What is an Adult Occupier consent form?

This is a requirement from your mortgage lender. Anyone who lives at the property, but is not named on the mortgage, and aged 18 or over must sign a consent deed.

Make an enquiry

If we haven’t managed to answer your questions above then please fill in the form below and include as much detail as possible so we can direct your enquiry efficiently.